Happy Independence day Indonesia! Happy holidays to our Islamic readers who had successfully endure the fasting month of Ramadhan, and to our Balinese friends who celebrated their Galungan & Kuningan holiday, all in August 2012.
As with many of Indonesian moslems, I did as well, partake the amazing journey of mudik: the annual rite of returning home for Eid holiday, just like Christians do during Christmas holiday. The actual journey however, not as merry as it might sounds, as it involves a very complicated arrangement of travel and transport, as well as very physically demanding journey. Why physically demanding? Well imagine about 150 million people using the same stretch of the road at around the same time! It's not a rare occasion then, that mudik-ers have to spent over 24 hours travelling a distance usually covered in just two hours! However on the bright side, it enables you to reconnect with both close and long-lost family, as well as traditional or local delicacies you don't encounter anymore in your daily life.
To give you a heads up on upcoming (and recent happenings) in Indonesian culinary & blogging scenes, here's the what's up list for September 2012.
- Raechel Temily from Sarong & Mama San Bali just informed me that Chef Will Meyrick will host another Kitchen Sessions early in September, this time unleashing the potentials of Sri Lanka dishes!
- Agung Pamungkas from IndoPacific Edelman informed that in cooperation with the World Food Programme Indonesia, their office will have a bloggers meet-up around beginning of September to talk about "Isu Pangan" in Indonesia. Interesting topic, interesting event, I'm curious how bloggers can actually contribute to such critical issue
- Tina Arwin from The Group Entertainment, a Singapore-based company that produced "The Kitchen Musical TV Series", the 1st TV Musical Series in Asia which content is about Food, Music and Dance, informed early in August that we can now enjoy the TV series via website. The new website also hosts the recipes, food, and music as well as prizes from the quiz. Visit this link to find out more: http://www.thekitchenmusical.com/
- Hevie Ursulla Arnada informed that Alila Ubud has launched a new Seasonal Tasting Menu relying 100% on local produce sourced from Bali. Locally grown and reared produce from known small farmers around Bali are artfully prepared by Executive Chef Eelke Plasmeijer and his culinary team in Alila Ubud’s Plantation Restaurant, guaranteeing fresher and tastier organic food. For information & reservation please contact firstname.lastname@example.org directly
- Patrick Murray informed that starting early August, L Hotel in Seminyak is open for public. Architecturally structured by Popo Danes, quintessentially designed by Meriem Hall, and lushly landscaped by Dewa Kusuma, L Hotel promising you a good time to unwind and enjoy personalised accommodation and lifestyle. For information & reservation please contact email@example.com directly
- The 9th Ubud Writers & Readers Festival program will be held on 3-7 October in the unique setting of Ubud to engage readers, writers, and thinkers in conversations and ideas exchange. To get a peek on their program, including special prices for early-bird tickets visit http://www.ubudwritersfestival.com/
- Follow Epicurina's food journey & crazy stories on Mudik event by searching for #mudik hash-tag on both Twitter and Instagram